It’s officially my favorite time of year, Halloween season! I tend to celebrate this season a lot sooner than necessary. It just leaves more room for fun activities, such as watching scary movies and creating spooky treats!
One of my favorite all time Halloween movies is Hocus Pocus, and the tradition of loving this film has naturally passed on to my girls. They each love the spooky spell book and its moving eye. I love how Winnifred Sanderson treats it like her personal pet, almost like a small dog. I thought it would make for a simple and tasty treat for kids and adults alike to try!
For this magical Halloween brownies recipe, you can use either store bought brownie mix, or create your own from scratch. I went with the box version, but either choice will be just fine. The items I snagged to make I got at Ralph’s grocery.
8×8 inch pan
Box of brownie mix or ingredients to make scratch brownies
1″ candy eyeballs
Black writing icing tube
1. To begin, preheat your oven to the desired temperature that is recommended in your recipe. I personally used the box brand, but it’s completely up to you.
2. Bake your brownies based on the recipe’s recommended time. Once you prepare your brownies and bake them, set them aside to cool. I recommend letting them cool for at least 3 hours before beginning to decorate.
3. Once cool, cut the brownies into rectangles to resemble spell books. Have the spell book brownies on a cutting board so they’re easy to decorate.
4. To begin decorating, place a dot of black icing on the back of a candy eyeball and stick to the right middle side of the brownie. Next, take your tube of black icing and create a thin circle around the eyeball. Once completed, create a triangle style zig-zag on the far left side of the brownie. Next to the zig-zag, draw a thin line and create small stitches on the line.
5. Add two semi-circles on the top and bottom right corners, and you have yourself a precious and delicious spell book! Repeat these steps on each brownie until you are out, and allow about 30 minutes for the icing to harden.
This brownie recipe is a fantastic treat for any small spooky gathering you may be planning, or just to brighten your biggest Halloween fan’s day. If you make these, share your results in the comments!
For More Halloween Recipes, Read These: